Saturday, November 10, 2007

This is the story of a girl...[fiction]

Wrath and fury rose in me like vomit.Deciding that enough is enough,I answered back, "Shut up!I cannot put up with that primitive character of yours.Didin't your religion taught you to respect other people's system of faith?Mother,I need you to stop the condemnation of my religion!"With tears streaming down mother's cheeks,she screamed, "So this is what your stupid religion taught you?To answer back?Stupid Christians!All they do is brain wash and practice hypocrisy.You better watch out,Sophia!One fine Sunday,you will find me in your church blurting out all your rotten qualities like an insane woman."

Born in a Buddhist family,my parents expected me to be in temples-lighting joss stickes,knealing down solemnly and mumbling some daily prayers to porcelain Gods.But I had my own religion too;Christianity.Since my conversion at the age of thirteen,mother started mocking my religion.Every wrong step I made,(come on,nobody is perfect in this world)my church had to take the blame.Mother was the only 'trouble maker' while others learnt to respect.

Sometimes,I put the blame on my useless self.Maybe all mother desires were good examination results,then she would leave my religion alone?Mind you,studies were not my 'thing'.Why would I be engaged in knowledge when my school teachers strongly dislike me?I hated school a lot because I had no friends.They all took me for granted and despised me just because I hardly own anything from expensive boutiques.It's not their fault though.They came from wealthy families and were not aware of the value of money.To them,money came from trees.While popular girls had boyfriends(puppy love I call it),I gazed hopelessly.At the innocent age of fourteen,I hated living skills lessons.My teacher,Mrs Lian loved picking on me as I was very weak in that subject.Pouring love and knowledge on intelligent pupils,she ignored the rest.It was way to obvious for us,students to learn that she posseses an unfair personality.Still,I endured the pain sorrowfully.Like a predator waiting for its prey,I waited for my turn to give her back.That desire had never been fulfilled though.

There wasn't any difference if I had two brothers or not.We never had a brother-sister relationship.Our great age gap explained it all.They were two decades older than me.Obviously at home,I was treated as if incapable of being seen.Eventhough blessed with a beautiful family each,they failed to remember their roots.Well,I still loved them and am proud of how successful they developed into.I have faith that one day they will finally understand what family strengths are.At times,my two sister in laws can be rather cocky and arrogant,though they had low paying jobs. "Let Bygones be Bygones",I say.Under whatever circumstances,they are related to me and I must treat them with esteem.

Right after the 'over heated' arguement with mother,I ran into my room,slamming the door behind me.Like a little child,I started crying and kicking wildly.With mother outside shouting "Open up!You useless rascal,I am not done with you yet!",my emotions just got worst.Suddenly,I made a decision…something I shall never regret.Quickly,I grabbed a paper and pen.Scribbling on an A4 paper,it stated:

Dearest mother,Enrico and Edwin,

Sorry for leaving you behind.Well,you still have Enrico and Edwin right?You are not the cause of my death,so don't feel bad.Since the day I was born,instead of a bundle of joy,I became a big burden to the family.Now that I am gone,the weight in your heart had been lifted.Do live life to the fullest.Sorry for not fulfilling the job of a daughter.Your desire to obtain a successful daughter had been put off.This is the last time I am going to tell you this.It's your will to accept the fact.I hate books andthe 'study material' is not present in my blood.Mum,I apologise for the frequent mood swings.You don't know what ive been going through.Anyways,im sorry for hurting your feelings at times.Though you would always criticize Christianity , I never hated you.I will always love and respect you because you brought me into this world.
As for you two,Enrico and Edwin..Please take care of mother for me when im not around anymore.Yes ,I do understand that you have a family to raise but…she is your mother!The brave one who bore the excruciate pain of child birth.Not to forget,she nurtured and raised you up single handedly.I would like to be buried in a Christian cemetery please.Hanging myself in this room is the only way to get out of my miserable life.Take care.I love you mother,Enrico and Edwin.Goodbye.


With Love,
Sophia Cheng

by:Stephie Thong

No comments: